Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Arts of the Swiss



I love art. We may not have as much art as other countries like italy, but we have our fair share of unique masterpieces! People here have no set style, crafting everything from pop art to engravings to modern art. One of the most famous paintings is La Belle Chocolatière, or the chocolate girl. It combines our love for chocolate with a pretty picture. I'll pull it up.

This picture shows a woman in a traditional Swedish dress with a cup of hot cocoa. I like the realisim of this picture and how it almost seems to come to life. However, I'm glad I don't have to dress like that! We recently aquired SIKART which is an online database on visual art in Switzerland! It was made here so I can use it to look up pictures about my country's art. It's basically a visual dictionary. Its free with access to the public, but it doesen't come in english yet, and I'm not in the mood to translate it. People that have art on there have done landscapes, sculptures, sketches, surrealist paintings, you name it! You can't really see the awesome art on here though, you have to experience it in person!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is a great picture! I look forward to learning more about Switzerland's art!

    ReplyDelete