Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sad Day...

I feel very heavy as I post this. Today, Opa died in his bed of a heart attack. He was 82 years old, which is a little above average in Germany. However, it was still very disturbing news. Oma didn't notice he was having a heart attack until it was too late. The law required her to move fast, so she called a doctor immediately. The rest of the family was already there by the time the doctor arrived. He wrote down some things and gave Oma a Todebescheinigung or death certificate to sign.
The whole family was running from place to place today, but our feet were heavy. We had gone to the Standesamt to report the death. Oma had taken some documents like Opa's birth certificate and marriage certificate. His funeral is on Saturday because Germany's law requires us to hold the funeral early. Oma was crying because she loved Opa very much, and she wasn't sure how she would pay for the funeral, because they are very expensive. We all gathered around, and my family all promised to help.
I really loved Opa. Before both of my parents were working, he loved to take me to a place called Päffgen. I tried something new each day, but he always ate the grilled pork knuckle. He would always drink three beers in a row, then he'd come out of the restaurant dancing. Then, he would pick me up and spin me around with him! After he calmed down a bit, he would hug me and tell me that I make his life very happy. I told him the same thing. His beard smelled very strongly of beer, but I did not mind. I loved him too much. Please, pray for Opa in heaven, and pray for our family. Auf Weidersehen.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no... I'm so sorry... I'll be praying for you and Opa. That's so sad...

    ReplyDelete