Monday, April 18, 2011

City of Kosice






Today, I have decided to take a trip to Kosice. So, I will give you a little background information about the historic city. Kosice is the second largest city in Slovakia after the capitol, Bratislava. Kosice is probably the most historic city in the whole country. It is believed to be inhabited from as early as 1200 A.D. Kosice was also once the capital of Upper Hungary in the 1500s-1600s. Kosice is also the largest city in Eastern Slovakia. Kosice is also the main economic center for eastern Slovakia. Kosice has the largest factory in Slovakia, which is U.S. Steel Kosice. Kosice features many buildings with gothic-style architecture. Most of these buildings are built along the main street and the city center. These buildings include St. Michael's Chapel, Jakab's Palace, and the St. Urban Tower. My favorite thing to do in Kosice is to walk around and look at these buildings. Kosice has the largest Town Monument Reserve in Slovakia. Kosice also has probably the most successful hockey team in the Slovak Extraliga. I have also run in the Kosice Peace Marathon, which is the second oldest Marathon in the world, after the world famous Boston Marathon in the United States. That's pretty much it I guess. I will talk again tomorrow and hopefully I will enjoy my trip!


Do vedinia,

Alesj

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that there was a city named Kosice. I learned a lot about the background.I can't wait to learn more about this city.

    ReplyDelete