Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Swiss Neautrality

I think I should elaborate on the neutrality I mentioned yesterday. We're famous for being neutral, especially in WWII. The simplest reason for this is because, despite the fact we're in the dead center of Europe, we aren't part of the European union! We were once famous for our soldiers, you know. Hard to believe? Well, we once fought in what's known as the battle of Marignano just north of Milano, Italy. There were lots of people being killed, but you know what? Most of those people were Swiss. After that, we decided to be neutral. We made one exception, that being when the famous Napoleon invaded us. Luckily, we were released after Napoleon's crushing defeat at the hands of the Russians! In WWII, we were getting ready for war, but with the position we were in, attacking the Germans would've been suicide as we were surrounded. Wonder why we weren't captured in a hostile takeover? Look at our beautiful geography. The alps surround us incredibly effectively. An incoming army would be easy prey, but trying to attack would be difficult as well. We probably would have been taken anyway, but we were too small to bother being invaded. Size does matter sometimes! I think that's enough of a history lesson for now. Oh, I'll pull up a picture of what I meant by surrounded. We're the little white country in the middle, and all of the red countries are the axis powers, or the German territories and their allies. Kinda scary, huh?

1 comment:

  1. This is scary. I hate thinking about WWII because we were the bad guys.Usually people do not mind, but I was very somber when I visited America and someone called me a Nazi. I am glad we lost, though. It is good that you have the Alps to protect you!

    ReplyDelete