Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Visit to a Castle

Switzerland has royalty too. I visited Chillon castle. This is one of the most visited landmarks in Switzerland. Actually, I believe it is the most visited historical landmark in the country! It has a lot of history, it was built in the bronze age, and some historians believe that it dates back to 1150, maybe even earlier! The castle has survived three periods, the Savoy period, the Bernese period, and the Vaudois period. The castle is even bigger on the inside! The castle has a huge hall where guests used to eat for balls and feasts. It has huge windows that look down on the lake. The view is magnificent. There are tours of courtyards, bedrooms, and even the chapel. This castle was built for very real purposes though; you can visit the sentry posts where guards monitored the sea. He he, if you want, you can even visit the underground dungeon, where prisoners were kept. It's really cavelike. All of the castle is in stunning condition and the look of Chillon castle seemingly rising out of lake Geneva against the alps is breathtaking. I have a picture too. See how big it is? It's really pretty at night. Anyyay, I'm glad that I was able to tell people more about my marvelous country. Maybe I'll see you later, here. For now, goodbye! ~Camilla

No comments:

Post a Comment