Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Wildlife of Switzerland!

I'm a huge animal person, so I'll talk about some of the natural wildlife here. We have a huge variety of bugs, birds, and animals from furry to scaly. I'll try to be as informative as I can. There are all sorts of mammals here. You can see lots of European hares and weasels around our house because we live next to woods. We also have wild foxes; I know that because there's one that keeps going through our garbage in the middle of the night, and mom has to chase it off with a broom. With how she looks at one in the morning she could scare anything away, but ssh, don't tell her I said that! During springtime there are lots of butterflies and the area also springs to life with spiders. There are a couple of lizards, salamanders, and frogs here, but not many. I hear that one of the salamanders is black with a bright red underside. Of course, snakes live in Switzerland but only in the mountainous regions. You do have to be careful up there to avoid stepping on one, trust me. The bites aren't fatal, but from what I've heard they hurt like everything. The birds of Switzerland... many are endangered, like the Turkey vulture, but most are quite common, of course. We have 379 species of birds. There are song birds like the white- winged snow finch. They're pretty and have a bright orange beak. My personal favorites are the birds of prey. Speaking of which, my patience paid off; just yesterday I checked the clearing after school again and the Red Kite was there! I got a picture this time, too, as it was taking off. Now I can prove I wasn't lying! It's really pretty isn't it? Here's the best part, once it took off, I followed it and it turns out it actually built a nest on a tree only about a quarter of a mile from our house! That's crazy, I know, but true; an endangered bird so close to us! There's plenty more wildlife to see here too, but I can't cover all of it. You'll have to see it for yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, I love foxes <3 We have them in Liechtenstein but we don't see them very often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a red kite? It's so big! I wish we had those in Germany.

    ReplyDelete